check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Connecting 12v/240v inverter to caravan 240v circuit


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 161
Date:
RE: Connecting 12v/240v inverter to caravan 240v circuit


I think in your excitement you've misunderstood my post mate.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 7
Date:

oldtrack123 wrote:
greyhoundtom wrote:
lizard wrote:

why don't you just use an extension lead from inverter output to caravan 240 volt input plug - replace van RCD with an RVD ?


 Thanks Lizard that is the most logical idea yet, and with a little bit of work I can achieve that.


 

Hi Tom

I suppose you are going to be foolish enough to do this restricted  work as well.no

It   seems you have little idea of the rules & regulations & their purpose 

They are primarily there to protect fools & innocent parties

Your apparent contempt for rules& regulations  & lack of understanding of the risks of your ideas horrifies me

& I suggest you stick to YOUR trade!!!!

Yes, like carpenters & builders  there are good & bad,electricians, No hopers even some absolute idiots.

But the Rules /Regulations & Electrical Standards, IF followed , save lives.

Unfortunately many would bes,  THINK they know better..

Which group do you fit in???



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Friday 25th of December 2015 01:19:45 AM


 The duality of governance/rights to do,'If i can'.  Philosophical V Risk and/or its Assessment. Lets look at bodies of water and the back yard pool....Why are ponds not fenced  ???? The local governments exempt themselves,why ? If you attended a local shire and raised safety concerns about an 'un-Fenced  body of water, i am sure they will not erect a fence.SO,why backyard fences....well ???? revenue .....Verdict: When you are at a local 'Pond' you are wholly responsible for the buffer between kids and the Pond,in your own yard the shire makes you add and additional control ergo a 'pool fence' what a paradox........  



__________________
melpal


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

melpal wrote:
 The duality of governance/rights to do,'If i can'.  Philosophical V Risk and/or its Assessment. 

Sadly, there are a proportion of people (10% maybe) who feel it is
their duty and they have the God given right and wisdom to direct the
rest of us regarding how to behave.

Of course they invariably rationalise their behaviour with a
justification that "it's for your own good" and, indeed, usually
frame their legislation and rules so that this may, superficially,
seem to be correct but, what they purposefully ignore is that I
neither need nor want them to control me whether it's for my own good
or not!

Having lived around this world a bit I never cease to be amazed by
the apathy in Australia. Governments seem able to pass almost any
laws at all with impunity - data retention anyone - it really is a
country of "I'm alright Jack". Try this sort of thing on, eg, the
French and they'd be out on the streets before you say sacrebleu.



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1743
Date:

Mike Harding wrote:
melpal wrote:
 The duality of governance/rights to do,'If i can'.  Philosophical V Risk and/or its Assessment. 

Sadly, there are a proportion of people (10% maybe) who feel it is
their duty and they have the God given right and wisdom to direct the
rest of us regarding how to behave.

Of course they invariably rationalise their behaviour with a
justification that "it's for your own good" and, indeed, usually
frame their legislation and rules so that this may, superficially,
seem to be correct but, what they purposefully ignore is that I
neither need nor want them to control me whether it's for my own good
or not!

Having lived around this world a bit I never cease to be amazed by
the apathy in Australia. Governments seem able to pass almost any
laws at all with impunity - data retention anyone - it really is a
country of "I'm alright Jack". Try this sort of thing on, eg, the
French and they'd be out on the streets before you say sacrebleu.


 

The BIG thing you missed is not the risk to you, but the possible risks to other innocent parties

A good typical example is the suicide adapter .,made up by those with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themselves  & others

YOU may know how to safely use ,it but what about others ,such as children or less informed

They strictly illegal for bloody good reasons!!!

To others ,think of the trouble you would be in,if some one ,especially a child got electrocuted, when one YOU made up, was in use.no

Are YOU going to stand & guard it AT ALL TIMES when it is in use & securely lock it away when not in use.??? no

There is no justification or need for such , when fully approved devices ,with ALL the required safety features ,are available

Some here would be the first to scream if a loved one was injured or killed due to someone doing unsafe ,illegal  electrical work



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Saturday 16th of June 2018 09:52:10 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

oldtrack123 wrote:
Mike Harding wrote:
melpal wrote:
 The duality of governance/rights to do,'If i can'.  Philosophical V Risk and/or its Assessment. 

Sadly, there are a proportion of people (10% maybe) who feel it is
their duty and they have the God given right and wisdom to direct the
rest of us regarding how to behave.

Of course they invariably rationalise their behaviour with a
justification that "it's for your own good" and, indeed, usually
frame their legislation and rules so that this may, superficially,
seem to be correct but, what they purposefully ignore is that I
neither need nor want them to control me whether it's for my own good
or not!

Having lived around this world a bit I never cease to be amazed by
the apathy in Australia. Governments seem able to pass almost any
laws at all with impunity - data retention anyone - it really is a
country of "I'm alright Jack". Try this sort of thing on, eg, the
French and they'd be out on the streets before you say sacrebleu.


 

The BIG thing you missed is not the risk to you, but the possible risks to other innocent parties

A good typical example is the suicide adapter .,made up by those with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themselves  & others

YOU may know how to safely use ,it but what about others ,such as children or less informed

They strictly illegal for bloody good reasons!!!

To others ,think of the trouble you would be in,if some one ,especially a child got electrocuted, when one YOU made up, was in use.no

Are YOU going to stand & guard it AT ALL TIMES when it is in use & securely lock it away when not in use.??? no

There is no justification or need for such , when fully approved devices ,with ALL the required safety features ,are available

Some here would be the first to scream if a loved one was injured or killed due to someone doing unsafe ,illegal  electrical work



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Saturday 16th of June 2018 09:52:10 PM


 

Point proven, I think.



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland



Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:

Hi Guys

Came across this quite old thread an noted what the OP wanted to achieve.

Could this be achieved legally and safely using a device such as this ?

Not a sparky so asking those in the know ?

Specs on this are (what I could find anyway)

  • Input: 220V - 250V  ~ 50/60Hz, 7.5A Class I 
  • Each USB Output 5V - 2.1A 
  • Each AC Output: 220V - 250V ~ 50/60Hz, 5.5A
  • Slim line powerpoint with USB ports (2 x GPO/2 x USB 2.0)
  • In Drawer Power Point


__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 373
Date:

Would you have a podiatrist do a appendectomy on you?
No.
Yet you do your own work on work that has to be done by licensed people, people that do it for a living, people that have responsibilities for lives and property, people that can be prosecuted for stuffing up, people that have to keep up with ever changing rules and regulations.
Having to ask the question here answers the question. You got no idea on it.
But you saved a few dollars.

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 373
Date:

Opps only notice the first page and the original date.



-- Edited by Corndoggy on Thursday 13th of June 2024 05:13:43 PM



-- Edited by Corndoggy on Thursday 13th of June 2024 05:15:40 PM

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 373
Date:

oldtrack123 wrote:
Mike Harding wrote:
melpal wrote:
 The duality of governance/rights to do,'If i can'.  Philosophical V Risk and/or its Assessment. 

Sadly, there are a proportion of people (10% maybe) who feel it is
their duty and they have the God given right and wisdom to direct the
rest of us regarding how to behave.

Of course they invariably rationalise their behaviour with a
justification that "it's for your own good" and, indeed, usually
frame their legislation and rules so that this may, superficially,
seem to be correct but, what they purposefully ignore is that I
neither need nor want them to control me whether it's for my own good
or not!

Having lived around this world a bit I never cease to be amazed by
the apathy in Australia. Governments seem able to pass almost any
laws at all with impunity - data retention anyone - it really is a
country of "I'm alright Jack". Try this sort of thing on, eg, the
French and they'd be out on the streets before you say sacrebleu.


 

The BIG thing you missed is not the risk to you, but the possible risks to other innocent parties

A good typical example is the suicide adapter .,made up by those with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themselves  & others

YOU may know how to safely use ,it but what about others ,such as children or less informed

They strictly illegal for bloody good reasons!!!

To others ,think of the trouble you would be in,if some one ,especially a child got electrocuted, when one YOU made up, was in use.no

Are YOU going to stand & guard it AT ALL TIMES when it is in use & securely lock it away when not in use.??? no

There is no justification or need for such , when fully approved devices ,with ALL the required safety features ,are available

Some here would be the first to scream if a loved one was injured or killed due to someone doing unsafe ,illegal  electrical work



-- Edited by oldtrack123 on Saturday 16th of June 2018 09:52:10 PM


When we had the big bushfire here in Melbourne you had people buying generators and pluging them into the houses or what was left of them. That then fed out to where ever and what ever was left connected. People did not know, had no idea of the effect of that, it's  just my house. You had people out of their property get electric shocks, people trying to help. None of these people doing registered work had a licence to do it. Just like the OP.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1095
Date:

Folks, it is possible (with recommended assistance of sparky for sign off requirement).

If I were doing it, I would prepare the cabling, connections and required hardware and have sparky undertake confirmation of work quality and sign off on it if satisfied, for a fee.

 

3000W Pure Sine Wave 12V to 240V Inverter (with AC Transfer Switch) - Hardkorr Australia

15A output inverter.

Read and view video.

 



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 7473
Date:

What I find interesting, chatting with builders around my area. They are all using battery powered tools where possible. It's not worth the BS admin of using 230v equipment.



__________________

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

50L custom fuel rack 6x20W 100/20mppt 4x26Ah gel 28L super insulated fridge TPMS 3 ARB compressors heatsink fan cooled 4L tank aftercooler Air/water OCD cleaning 4 stage car acoustic insulation.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1715
Date:

Battery operated tools are so handy ,no leads to worry about and take your tools absolutely anywhere and a lot safer than 240v.



__________________

Blues man.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 674
Date:

Blues Man wrote:

Battery operated tools are so handy ,no leads to worry about and take your tools absolutely anywhere and a lot safer than 240v.


 I think tradies have gone through their learning curve about leaving tools behind.  After the transition from tools having air hoses and power leads, there was a period where some tradies were leaving their power tools behind on sites because the usually attached air hoses and power leads were not visible.

Most workers are remembering their gear nowadays.



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 373
Date:

Dick0 wrote:

Folks, it is possible (with recommended assistance of sparky for sign off requirement).

If I were doing it, I would prepare the cabling, connections and required hardware and have sparky undertake confirmation of work quality and sign off on it if satisfied, for a fee.

 

3000W Pure Sine Wave 12V to 240V Inverter (with AC Transfer Switch) - Hardkorr Australia

15A output inverter.

Read and view video.

 


 I would not sign off on anyones work that I did not do myself so someone could save themselves money for doing my job themselves. They probably would want acheap price for the sign off as well.



__________________
«First  <  1 2 | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook