check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: No Wheel Meat


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4515
Date:
No Wheel Meat


Called into our local Coles Deli this morning, May I have a dozen slices of wheel meat please ?

 

Sorry luv, ran out yesterday, maybe in later today.  

 

Struth, this supply chain s..t is getting bad.



__________________

Cheers Craig



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

I'm tired of wheel meat.



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when.

Ok, I give up.............. what is wheel meat?

__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4515
Date:

Oh what a sheltered life Cuppa, kids always said to their uncle ( a butcher ) may we have a slice of wheel meat please, i.e. round devon " loaf "

__________________

Cheers Craig



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 345
Date:

Craig1 wrote:

Oh what a sheltered life Cuppa, kids always said to their uncle ( a butcher ) may we have a slice of wheel meat please, i.e. round devon " loaf "


 One could mistake an avatar for that snack.biggrin  biggrin

I think Fritz is a wheel of a smaller diameter from Sa.
Isnt the wheel meat in VIC actually a square loaf. Strass from memory.

It doesnt roll that well. biggrin  biggrin A bit like the Premier biggrin



__________________

Don't sell the Sun to buy the Candle



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Craig1 wrote:

Oh what a sheltered life Cuppa, kids always said to their uncle ( a butcher ) may we have a slice of wheel meat please, i.e. round devon " loaf "


 Didn't have devon in England where I grew up.  Had spam. I prefer devon. 



__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2082
Date:

Cuppa wrote:

Craig1 wrote:

Oh what a sheltered life Cuppa, kids always said to their uncle ( a butcher ) may we have a slice of wheel meat please, i.e. round devon " loaf "


 Didn't have devon in England where I grew up.  Had spam. I prefer devon. 





the story, what i can remember, Devon was called some German name before the war, and was changed due to war, similar to German Shepard dogs were referred to as Alsatians. so you may have had something similar under a different name.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

dogbox wrote:
Cuppa wrote:

 

Craig1 wrote:

Oh what a sheltered life Cuppa, kids always said to their uncle ( a butcher ) may we have a slice of wheel meat please, i.e. round devon " loaf "


 Didn't have devon in England where I grew up.  Had spam. I prefer devon. 



 



the story, what i can remember, Devon was called some German name before the war, and was changed due to war, similar to German Shepard dogs were referred to as Alsatians. so you may have had something similar under a different name.


 I think you are correct & now that you mention it vaguely recollect hearing that somewhere before.  If devon existed under another name back then in England I wish my mum had bought it. Never did like spam. 



__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

We were always told that Devon was made from Lips, Tits, Bits and R-soles ie; All the bits left over from the good cuts off the carcass.

I love it with pickles, chutney or sauce on sandwiches. It is also great fried up like Bacon.

Just love "Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when."

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Possum3 wrote:

We were always told that Devon was made from Lips, Tits, Bits and R-soles ie; All the bits left over from the good cuts off the carcass.

I love it with pickles, chutney or sauce on sandwiches. It is also great fried up like Bacon.

Just love "Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when."


 I seem to recall being told it was "Pigs willies & eyelashes".  Maybe that was Spam. 



__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Date:

As a son of a Victorian butcher who was a specialist smallgoodsman, in 72 years I I have never heard of No Wheel Meat, but  Luncheon, Devon, Polony, or Fritz, are various state versions.

However any South Aussie would know there are many variations of Fritz, the crap version is basically Devon,  but the quality Fritz is either Barossa or Bung are are easily distinguished.

Bung Fritz is by far the best and easily recognised by the yellow skin and it's large curved shape, generally not found in Coles or Woolies, Foodland, Drakes SA and butcher shops usually have it, the wehave ever hadwas from a butchers shop in Lyndoch in the Barossa he used to make his own.

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Gundog wrote:

As a son of a Victorian butcher who was a specialist smallgoodsman, in 72 years I I have never heard of No Wheel Meat, but  Luncheon, Devon, Polony, or Fritz, are various state versions.

However any South Aussie would know there are many variations of Fritz, the crap version is basically Devon,  but the quality Fritz is either Barossa or Bung are are easily distinguished.

Bung Fritz is by far the best and easily recognised by the yellow skin and it's large curved shape, generally not found in Coles or Woolies, Foodland, Drakes SA and butcher shops usually have it, the wehave ever hadwas from a butchers shop in Lyndoch in the Barossa he used to make his own.

 


 Aha! another recollection. We did have 'Luncheon Meat' in England as a kid, didn't know it was the same thing as Devon, & had forgotten all about until reading your post. Spam was tinned Luncheon meat I think. 



__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2082
Date:

spam was PORK based if my memory still functions.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

dogbox wrote:

spam was PORK based if my memory still functions.


 What animal is Devon made from?



__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 463
Date:

Gundog wrote:

but  Luncheon, Devon, Polony, or Fritz, are various state versions.


 also Strasbourg or "stras" they call it somewhere.  They are sort of similar, but our polony isn't the same as devon in Sydney.   I'm not sure about the rest, I haven't had their versions.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

The one that I never liked was, "Brawn" or worse still "Jellied Brawn".

Ingredients;
1 pc Pig Head
6 items Pork Legs
2 pieces Carrot Root Vegetables
½ head Garlic
1 big sprig Thyme
8 leaves Sage
4 leaves Lavrushka
1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
2 pieces Bow
4 pieces Shallot
1 big bunch Parsley
3 liters Water
1 kilogram Salt

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1922
Date:

Oh I forgot one and that's Smiley Fritz

download.jpeg.jpg



Attachments
__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2082
Date:

Possum3 wrote:

The one that I never liked was, "Brawn" or worse still "Jellied Brawn".


Ingredients;

1 pc Pig Head

6 items Pork Legs

2 pieces Carrot Root Vegetables

½ head Garlic

1 big sprig Thyme

8 leaves Sage

4 leaves Lavrushka

1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds

2 pieces Bow

4 pieces Shallot

1 big bunch Parsley

3 liters Water

1 kilogram Salt





i recall that as being referred to as head cheese all the left-over bits after butchering boiled up in a pot poured into a mould of some sort and left to cool/set into a jelly like mass.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4515
Date:

2 pieces Bow ?, what is bow ? Posssum

__________________

Cheers Craig



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

Craig1 wrote:

2 pieces Bow ?, what is bow ? Posssum


 Bow is an iceberg lettuce leaf cup - as in San choy bow

On a medium to high flame, heat olive oil and sesame oil in a frying pan. Add garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 12 minutes or until fragrant. Add bacon and cook for a further 34 minutes. Add green beans and mushrooms and season to taste. Add minced meat and cook, stirring occasionally to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes until nicely browned. Add water chestnuts. Stir through garlic chives, coriander and spring onions. Pour over soy and hoisin and mix well.

Serve hot from the pan in a lettuce leaf cup.



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4515
Date:

images.jpgAnd possibly the best one - Camp Pie, served out of cupboard on 3 day old bread in 35 degrees warm day



Attachments
__________________

Cheers Craig



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3804
Date:

Possum3 wrote:
Craig1 wrote:

2 pieces Bow ?, what is bow ? Posssum


 Bow is an iceberg lettuce leaf cup - as in San choy bow

On a medium to high flame, heat olive oil and sesame oil in a frying pan. Add garlic, ginger and chilli and cook for 12 minutes or until fragrant. Add bacon and cook for a further 34 minutes. Add green beans and mushrooms and season to taste. Add minced meat and cook, stirring occasionally to break up any lumps, for 5 minutes until nicely browned. Add water chestnuts. Stir through garlic chives, coriander and spring onions. Pour over soy and hoisin and mix well.

Serve hot from the pan in a lettuce leaf cup.


 Crikey Possum! 51 minutes in a frying pan on medium = incinerated, on high cremated.

Fire.jpg



Attachments
__________________

Cheers,

Santa.

Moonta, Copper Coast, South Aust.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

I also, believe the times of cooking are well over the top but that's how the recipe is printed - Perhaps a misprint 34 minutes I would think 3 to 4 minutes.

I always cook to what times I feel is appropriate after adding ingredients.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

Camp Pie one of my favorites, as a kid with cold baked beans - coming from a line of "Shearer's Cooks" that were horrified at what I wanted.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Craig1 wrote:

images.jpgAnd possibly the best one - Camp Pie, served out of cupboard on 3 day old bread in 35 degrees warm day


 I always thought Camp Pie was the same as the tinned corned beef but unless this manufacturer sells the same product under different names, perhaps not?  I have never eaten Camp Pie, but can tolerate Cold corned beef once in a while. My wife's 'favourite meal' which she insists on every birthday (as well as eating it at other times) is cold sliced tinned corned beef, baked beans & chips!  In fact until we came to Australia 36 years ago we didn't know that real (not tinned) corned beef was a thing. 

           screenshot_1819.png



Attachments
__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1409
Date:

Of the canned meats the Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Pie is my favourite, manageable in a camp oven if necessary. I remember it from childhood, but I'm sure that like Wagon Wheels it has got a lot smaller over the years. Used to feed two, whereas one each is the go now. We carried 4 tins around with us as 'emergency tucker' for several years, ate the last one sometime last year. I recall we paid $8 each for them , have seen them for $18 up here on the Cape. 

 

screenshot_1820.jpg



Attachments
__________________

A Nomadic Life (Current)    

The Big Trip (2008/9)     



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 662
Date:

Possum3 wrote:

The one that I never liked was, "Brawn" or worse still "Jellied Brawn".

Ingredients;
1 pc Pig Head
6 items Pork Legs
2 pieces Carrot Root Vegetables
½ head Garlic
1 big sprig Thyme
8 leaves Sage
4 leaves Lavrushka
1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
2 pieces Bow
4 pieces Shallot
1 big bunch Parsley
3 liters Water
1 kilogram Salt


 I note the proportion of Salt in this ingredients list.  It must be a thirst creator, definitely not a thirst quencher.biggrin



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

In the bush we ate them all; Canned ham, Corned beef, Camp pie, Saveloys and who could forget Kraft cheese.

The Americans brought us Canned chicken (whole), Spam, Canned hot-dogs (frankfurts), they even had meat pie canned, (very tasty too).

No wonder we all wanted to go to the local "Chinese" or Fish and Chippery.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

watsea wrote:

 I note the proportion of Salt in this ingredients list.  It must be a thirst creator, definitely not a thirst quencher.biggrin(Regarding Brawn.)


 The salt was a preservative as no modern refrigeration just an ice-box.



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 345
Date:

We moved from NSW to VIC many years ago when my children were quite young.

Devon wasnt an option in VIC as the generic recommended replacement was Strasburg or similar which was more spicy, more fatty by appearance and was not palatable to both myself my wife and our children. Strass was a square meatloaf as well where by shear visual appearance it just wasnt the same to my kiddies.

Due to work we did move at a later time to SA and the Fritz was a round roll although much smaller in Diameter than was the Devon.

Give me Devon or Fritz any day. I would not say that I would be a Strass man.

I loved an occasional brekky of fried Devon or Fritz with a couple of eggs.

Spam, is only pet food marketed for homeless humans with pets.

__________________

Don't sell the Sun to buy the Candle

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook