check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: How to get rid of black ants inside van


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:
How to get rid of black ants inside van


I have noticed ants in and around my windows and in the floor through minor gaps . Im using ant rid inside where possible and ant sand outside around jockey wheel and tyres. Appreciate your help. I was thinking about using an insect bomb but not sure if it could affect the cushion material etc. your thoughts Thanks and regards Ron

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1110
Date:

I doubt that insect bombs would do any harm to your cushions etc, but some believe everything should be washed/washed down afterwards to get rid of the chemical residue. I do for eating utensils and cover pillows but don't worry otherwise.

However it is unlikely to help much with ants. Back at the nest there is a ready supply of eggs to replace the killed worker ants. If the ants go with you when you travel that probably means the nest is onboard. Ant baits are the solution. The poison gets taken back to the nest, and when the queen eats this and dies the nest dies as well.

Some ants eat sugar and some eat protein (meat). The sugar ones are easier because the common Ant rid solutions containing borax are readily scavenged. Meat eaters are a bit harder because they ignore Ant rid. For those I have had success with the gel treatments.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

OP: you may find this thread works better in the General section?
Are We Lost wrote:

Some ants eat sugar and some eat protein (meat). The sugar ones are easier because the common Ant rid solutions containing borax are readily scavenged. Meat eaters are a bit harder because they ignore Ant rid. For those I have had success with the gel treatments.


Please expand upon this; I have always used AntRid which has worked well but I've no idea what I'd do if it didn't!



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland



Chief one feather

Status: Offline
Posts: 17371
Date:

I use a flea bomb. They work on nearly all creepy crawlies. I usually do every 3-4 months. I only just did it two days ago as I have seen a lot of spiders of various sizes in the aluminium tent where I am set up. Creepy crawlies and I don't mix.

After 2 hours I went in and opened windows and door and there were dead bodies everywhere. I haven't seen any little critters since.

Make sure you turn power and gas off first and close anything you don't want the spray entering. I also make sure the overhead cupboard by 12v gauges and other switches are is closed. OH! Take the the smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors out side as well or you will set them off.

After using the bombs for nearly 9 years the fabric seats and woodwork all seem fine.

__________________

Live Life On Your Terms

DOUG  Chief One Feather  (Losing feathers with age)

TUG.......2014 Holden LT Colorado Twin Cab Ute with Canopy

DEN....... 2014 "Chief" Arrow CV  (with some changes)

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1110
Date:

Mike Harding wrote:
OP: you may find this thread works better in the General section?
Are We Lost wrote:

Some ants eat sugar and some eat protein (meat). The sugar ones are easier because the common Ant rid solutions containing borax are readily scavenged. Meat eaters are a bit harder because they ignore Ant rid. For those I have had success with the gel treatments.


Please expand upon this; I have always used AntRid which has worked well but I've no idea what I'd do if it didn't!


You inspired me to learn a bit more.

Sugar ants and protein (or grease) ants are just the commonly used names. Any ant colony may change the food type they seek as the need for the colony changes. Here is a brief explanation (an advertisement)  Protein or sugar ants? or How to make a protein ant bait

Here is another one. Ants not eating the bait. It includes an interesting comment on Argentine ants driving out competition by eating them then turning to a more common diet.

At home, I get repeat visits of protein ants, maybe once every year or so, and they just won't touch Antrid. But leave a piece of fatty meat on the benchtop and they are all over it. The links above suggest a peanut butter mix but even that has only been partly successful for me. I have also tried a drop of Antrid on a piece of meat with partial success. But getting some gel bait does the trick.

Yates gel ant bait.

The active ingredient is Indoxacarb, while Borax is the ingredient in Antrid. Apart from ingesting it, just contact with it is enough to do the job.




-- Edited by Are We Lost on Tuesday 4th of April 2023 03:36:55 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

Beware insect bombs can cause explosion if appliances are not turned off and ensure no naked flames.

Small black ants are a sign of moisture being present - get a cheap moisture meter at Bunnings and check around all joins in floor and ceiling if ensuite fitted thoroughly check all corners.

Ant rid will eradicate black ants - best having the little bait stations - syrup can be a bit messy.

Spraying "Crawly" insect spray around stabilising feet and jockey wheel/jack is a good idea to prevent them coming in.

Do not park under trees with small branches and leaves resting on top or sides of van.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 31
Date:

Are We Lost wrote:



Some ants eat sugar and some eat protein (meat). The sugar ones are easier because the common Ant rid solutions containing borax are readily scavenged. Meat eaters are a bit harder because they ignore Ant rid. For those I have had success with the gel treatments.


 This is what to use for protein ants it has FIPRONIL as the active constituent



-- Edited by Triggy on Tuesday 4th of April 2023 06:47:40 PM

Attachments
__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:

Thanks everyone for your input I may not have explained it that well but these ants are inside the walls around the window frames I havent tried the baits but will asap Thanks again Ron

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8603
Date:

Ronzo wrote:

 these ants are inside the walls around the window frames I havent tried the baits but will asap Thanks again Ron.


 A good indicator of moisture being present - you should check with moisture meter and reseal around the windows (after eradicating ants).



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

Thanks AreWeLost and others. I feel more prepared now if the AntRid doesn't work.

PS. AntRid seems to have a shelf life; I once used some which was five years of more old and the ants ignored it, bought some new stuff and the ants loved it :)



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland

KJB


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 839
Date:

Are We Lost wrote:

I doubt that insect bombs would do any harm to your cushions etc, but some believe everything should be washed/washed down afterwards to get rid of the chemical residue. I do for eating utensils and cover pillows but don't worry otherwise.

However it is unlikely to help much with ants. Back at the nest there is a ready supply of eggs to replace the killed worker ants. If the ants go with you when you travel that probably means the nest is onboard. Ant baits are the solution. The poison gets taken back to the nest, and when the queen eats this and dies the nest dies as well.

Some ants eat sugar and some eat protein (meat). The sugar ones are easier because the common Ant rid solutions containing borax are readily scavenged. Meat eaters are a bit harder because they ignore Ant rid. For those I have had success with the gel treatments.


 

Spray them with white paint ....no more black ants...!   KB



__________________

KB



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4706
Date:

KJB wrote:
Spray them with white paint ....no more black ants...!   KB

Cuppa's going to be after you!



__________________

 

"I beseech you in the bowels of Christ think it possible you may be mistaken"

Oliver Cromwell, 3rd August 1650 - in a letter to the General Assembly of the Kirk of Scotland



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1306
Date:

I was introduced to a product called SOLFAC DUO by a gentleman in a produce store (farming equipment). I my mind this is a heavy duty product that will
get rid of anything that crawls. If you are after an almost permanent solution, this is the product. I use it around the house etc, albeit
have NOT used it inside. Although I do believe it would be ok, maybe a caravan might be a bit small.
When I say almost, when it rains, some of it washed away even though it has a good residual property. Now you may feel
it is a bit expensive at around $70 for 250ml, however if administered as per instructions it is very economical given its
performance. Ever since I started using this, crawling insects are a thing of the past.
Up to you, but this is the one. Makes a joke out of AntRid.


__________________

Ex software engineer, now chef



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 446
Date:

Selleys Talon Gel. We use it for house and van. Just a few drops in their path should do the trick.

Had the same problem a few weeks ago at Narooma, didn't have the Gel then just used Raid spray whenever we saw them.

Didn't bring any ants home with us that I could see.

Dick.



__________________
KJB


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 839
Date:

deverall11 wrote:

I was introduced to a product called SOLFAC DUO by a gentleman in a produce store (farming equipment). I my mind this is a heavy duty product that will
get rid of anything that crawls. If you are after an almost permanent solution, this is the product. I use it around the house etc, albeit
have NOT used it inside. Although I do believe it would be ok, maybe a caravan might be a bit small.
When I say almost, when it rains, some of it washed away even though it has a good residual property. Now you may feel
it is a bit expensive at around $70 for 250ml, however if administered as per instructions it is very economical given its
performance. Ever since I started using this, crawling insects are a thing of the past.
Up to you, but this is the one. Makes a joke out of AntRid.


 Top product - good value, have used it for years.  Residual property excellent for spider/web control over a long period .   KB



__________________

KB



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 16
Date:

Hi everyone;
Just a comment on getting rid of ants in RV's, I whole heartedly agree with possum3 on being cautious if considering using aerosol sprays; we witnessed a motor home explode into flames after the owner used a spray can to spray ants in his motorhome it burnt to the ground in minutes and also wiped out another brand new caravan beside it; the owner suffered severe burns requiring a trip to the hospital.

Unfortunately he forgot about the gas pilot light on his fridge which caused a massive explosion.( he was free camping).

Regards Redjo

__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 345
Date:

Redjo wrote:

Hi everyone;
Just a comment on getting rid of ants in RV's, I whole heartedly agree with possum3 on being cautious if considering using aerosol sprays; we witnessed a motor home explode into flames after the owner used a spray can to spray ants in his motorhome it burnt to the ground in minutes and also wiped out another brand new caravan beside it; the owner suffered severe burns requiring a trip to the hospital.

Unfortunately he forgot about the gas pilot light on his fridge which caused a massive explosion.( he was free camping).

Regards Redjo


 A very good point Redjo,

There has been many a restaurant suffer a similar fate when the owner has decided to use aerosol type treatments for insect health pests.

I have read some very good information on this forum when reading back through some very old posts.

The search function leaves a bit to be desired so finding previous good and accurate information can be challenging at times.



-- Edited by RickJ on Wednesday 5th of April 2023 05:07:42 PM

__________________

Don't sell the Sun to buy the Candle



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4515
Date:

x 2 for sofac duo, a quick read of instructions, can be used inside, but with lots of precautions, exemptions.

__________________

Cheers Craig



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Date:

I have had excellent results using a product called HYMENOPTHOR® ULTRA. Link to webpage here - www.ensystex.com.au/products/hymenopthor-ultra-granular-ant-and-****roach-bait


__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 264
Date:

I have always used talcum powder to get rid of ants. The theory is that to an ant, the powder is like gravel in the exoskeleton and they hate it. It has never failed me yet to get rid of ants. My wife prefers to use ant-rid or similar so between the two of us we are seldom troubled by ants.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2688
Date:

Have used this with good results : https://www.yates.com.au/talon-5g-ant-killer-gel/



__________________
Bill B


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 524
Date:

I have found the ants "Rid ant" does not work on are deterred by spaying water with a bit of peppermint oil in it. Doesn't kill them so assume they go to somewhere else. 

 

Neil 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1090
Date:

Ronzo wrote:

I have noticed ants in and around my windows and in the floor through minor gaps . Im using ant rid inside where possible and ant sand outside around jockey wheel and tyres. Appreciate your help. I was thinking about using an insect bomb but not sure if it could affect the cushion material etc. your thoughts Thanks and regards Ron


Ant dust from Bunnings works a treat. Squirt powder outside where the ant trail(s) is. Ants disappear within minutes. Check around van regularly for ant trails and nests nearby.

Never been successful with AntRid. The ant dust also got rid of all ants and nests around my home and works a treat when camping.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:

Ive tried talon, baits and ant rid and activity has gone Im hoping that the worker ants have taken the poison back to the nest Will monitor over coming days Thanks everyone for your suggestions Ron

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4637
Date:

littledick wrote:

Selleys Talon Gel. We use it for house and van. Just a few drops in their path should do the trick.

Had the same problem a few weeks ago at Narooma, didn't have the Gel then just used Raid spray whenever we saw them.

Didn't bring any ants home with us that I could see.

Dick.


 We too have had good results with Talon Gel from WW.

I usually leave a couple of inverted jar lids filled with some borax & caster sugar, inside the van kitchen cupboards & in the fridge enclosure.



__________________

See Ya ... Cupie




Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:

Its been nearly 2 weeks now and having used talon syringe product, antrid liquid, baits and combat antrid strips - Ive seen many dead ants . Monitoring daily and yesterday only two ants walking around Im hoping this is nearing the end of the problem. From now on will always keep baits stashed in various corners of my van especially if we dont use it for a few months and will keep an eye on activity around the van Thanks everyone for your advice- it was v helpful and worked

__________________


Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Date:

To get rid of black ants in your van, start by thoroughly cleaning to remove any food crumbs and spills. Seal any small gaps where ants might be entering. Place ant bait stations inside to attract and kill ants, and use ant barrier sprays around the tires and entry points outside. Avoid using an insect bomb inside the van, as it can damage the cushions and other materials. Regularly check and reapply treatments as needed.


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1090
Date:

craigcelaya wrote:

To get rid of black ants in your van, start by thoroughly cleaning to remove any food crumbs and spills. Seal any small gaps where ants might be entering. Place ant bait stations inside to attract and kill ants, and use ant barrier sprays around the tires and entry points outside. Avoid using an insect bomb inside the van, as it can damage the cushions and other materials. Regularly check and reapply treatments as needed.


I have tried plenty of products over the years and none have worked except for Ant Dust from Bunnings.

Don't wait for the ants to find their way into the van. Get them before they annoy you.

When you first park up look around to see if there are any ant trails about, then back track the trail to the main nest source and any other nest entry points nearby.

Scatter the dust around these points and the ants will walk the dust into the nest and within a short time there will be no ants around and most ants in the nest will die.

Eventually the Queen will die and all ants will be exterminated.

Any new visible trails thereafter from other nests scatter ant dust around the trail.

ALWAYS works for me anywhere in OZ.

I use the same procedure at my home and have not had the slightest ant problem since using Ant Dust.

It is cheap and most effective.

No, I don't have shares in Bunnings!



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 7447
Date:

Ant dust is also great for cockroaches 

 

 



-- Edited by Whenarewethere on Friday 31st of May 2024 10:40:57 AM

__________________

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

50L custom fuel rack 6x20W 100/20mppt 4x26Ah gel 28L super insulated fridge TPMS 3 ARB compressors heatsink fan cooled 4L tank aftercooler Air/water OCD cleaning 4 stage car acoustic insulation.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1220
Date:

Talon ant gel available at Woolies. Comes in a syringe and a small dob in the upper corners of the van works a treat. We have found it is the only thing that seems to work on the small black ants consistently. Easily applied, no mess and one syringe lasts for quite a few doses as you only need a small dob. We keep some in the van at all times.

__________________

Greg O'Brien

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook