check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Cobb Grill Skid Row Recovery Gear Caravan Industry Association of Australia
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: Water tank repair


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 90
Date:
Water tank repair


Have a small crack about 2cm long in poly water tank (its a 127litre tank). Is there a product that will repair the crack ? What do you recommend please ? Also, would you know where to source a new tank if repair is not an option. Many thanks

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1306
Date:

On the assumption it can be fixed, I'd be looking for a plastic welder and go from there. Hopefully you can find someone who is honest
and can help.

__________________

Ex software engineer, now chef



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8583
Date:

The product to use is Fusor 133 Plastic Repair Adhesive - ph.parker.com/au/en/product-list/fusor-132-133-plastic-repair-adhesive-super-fast - It's a two part epoxy used in Auto Repairs. Clean area with solvent and lightly sand, you may have to open the crack to allow penetration of the 133. www.ebay.com.au/itm/363909325002

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 225
Date:

Sorry mate, that is not suitable for polyethelene.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1306
Date:

Google 'how to repair a polyethelene water tank' and this is what you get

The best way to fix a hole in a poly water tank is with the use of a professional plastic extrusion welder. With a plastic extrusion welder, you inject molten polymer rod into the hole via a bull-nose tip (part of the machine).

__________________

Ex software engineer, now chef



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8583
Date:

BarneyBDB wrote:

Sorry mate, that is not suitable for polyethelene.


 Thats what I used. 



-- Edited by Possum3 on Friday 19th of May 2023 08:04:38 AM

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1439
Date:

deverall11 wrote:

Google 'how to repair a polyethelene water tank' and this is what you get

The best way to fix a hole in a poly water tank is with the use of a professional plastic extrusion welder. With a plastic extrusion welder, you inject molten polymer rod into the hole via a bull-nose tip (part of the machine).


 Correct. I'm a gummint certified plastic welder now retired.



__________________

I reserve the right to arm bears :)



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 522
Date:

It is possible to repair a plastic tank with an electric soldering iron. You need some of the same plastic to be able to add more bulk to the weld. 

I have successfully done this myself so can work, providing no moisture can interfere. We had a 12 volt poly pipe welder that joined pipe in a joint stronger than the pipe itself, hence discovering how easy plastic is to repair.

 

Neil 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 4631
Date:

woolman wrote:

It is possible to repair a plastic tank with an electric soldering iron. You need some of the same plastic to be able to add more bulk to the weld. 

I have successfully done this myself so can work, providing no moisture can interfere. We had a 12 volt poly pipe welder that joined pipe in a joint stronger than the pipe itself, hence discovering how easy plastic is to repair.

 

Neil 


 That's what I did to fill a few no longer needed holes in my Sit On Top Kayak.  Easy Peasy & still OK 10 years later.



__________________

See Ya ... Cupie




Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1942
Date:

RobDor wrote:

Have a small crack about 2cm long in poly water tank (its a 127litre tank). Is there a product that will repair the crack ? What do you recommend please ? Also, would you know where to source a new tank if repair is not an option. Many thanks


 Hi Rob, here is a site on the internet with some good looking glue solutions.wink

https://gluetips.com/glue-for-polypropylene/

I have used a soldering iron and a plastic welder also but some skill is required so doing a water tank is not a good place to start probably. disbeliefYou do not actually melt the material to weld it, just get it to soften and press the softened rod onto the crack.

good luck jaahn 



__________________


Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 440
Date:

As seen on TV..Flexseal. My Son repaired a 55000 ltr tank with it. 15 months on still good.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1081
Date:

Bas + Eve wrote:

As seen on TV..Flexseal. My Son repaired a 55000 ltr tank with it. 15 months on still good.


Excellent product to repair water containers.

Flexseal clear liquid 2/3 light coats or FlexTape to inner and outer surfaces if you have access to interior of tank.

Follow written instructions.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5377
Date:

RobDor wrote:

Have a small crack about 2cm long in poly water tank (its a 127litre tank). Is there a product that will repair the crack ? What do you recommend please ? Also, would you know where to source a new tank if repair is not an option. Many thanks


Hi RobDor

I was in the same boat as you, a small crack in my water tank, and found that for whatever reason, that I could not buy a new tank, of the same awkward Jayco shape (80 litres)

My research led me to believe that RV water tanks are made from polyethylene plastic (I saw no plastic type numbers on my tank, as I did not remove it) 

I brought some polyethylene plastic from a local plastic repair mob, and used a normal (cheap from Bunnings) 240 volt 80 watt soldering iron

I cleaned the (dry) area with Isopropyl Alcohol Cleaner, also from Bunnings, but not as cheap as the soldering iron

I managed to fix the leak, by following utube plastic welding, (I did not place any stainless mesh over the repair, as I had none)

The repair has held so far (about 18 months)

As a matter of interest to others, (I was experimenting, err playing around)

Using a 300/600 12 VDC to 240 VAC, inverter from my batteries to the soldering iron, I was pulling just over 8 amps out of the batteries
I repaired the water tank, with the soldering iron running through the inverter from the 12 volt batteries 

Therefore in my opinion, any plastic repair mob would be able to repair a RV water tank



__________________

Tony

It cost nothing to be polite



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Date:

Selleys All Clear/Storm will not only stick to polyethylene, you can apply it wet.
Is amazing product I wouldn't be without travelling.



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook