check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: On the Run Weigh


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1927
Date:
On the Run Weigh


Quick check weigh at a Victorian free weighbridge at Merbein South on the Stuart Hwy, all weights could vary +/- 20kg as it is a single plate weighbridge where you can do  both axles and GVM, and then Van separately.

Ford Ranger PK Manual and Jayco Stirling 25'

Weights Spec's Actual Var

GVM         2951         2600         -351

Frt Axle 1430         1160         -270

Rear Axle 1850         1440         -410

GCM         5500         5080          -420

 

GTM         2466         2480            14

Note that the GTM is 14kg over but that is not a worry, unless its a pedantic scalie, TBW because its of no importance when connected.

I may do a full weigh on the return journey in Jan after some Van mods whilst in Adelaide.

 

 



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1114
Date:

Following your comment on another thread, I have a question. Were these readings laden for travel or empty? Water?

Your rear axle load is surprisingly light. My PX2 Ranger has a canopy, so that reduces available payload. But I had to get rid of spare fuel and water I was carrying to fit within the 1850 rating. For a 25 foot van yours is surprisingly light. My smaller van is heavier.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1927
Date:

Are We Lost wrote:

Following your comment on another thread, I have a question. Were these readings laden for travel or empty? Water?

Your rear axle load is surprisingly light. My PX2 Ranger has a canopy, so that reduces available payload. But I had to get rid of spare fuel and water I was carrying to fit within the 1850 rating. For a 25 foot van yours is surprisingly light. My smaller van is heavier.


 The weigh was done on the way to Adelaide after an overnight stay in Mildura, yes the caravan was loaded as for normal travel, except we travel with minimal water almost empty tanks.

Bear in mind my PK Ranger is a manual 2WD, as for accessories no bull bar, side steps, canopies, etc these all reduce the payload, I have even removed the sports bar, all I have added is a lightweight nudge bar and 55ltr Boab drop in fuel tank which gives me a total of 118 litres.

The reason for little or no water we travel from Paid facilities to paid facilities, the fact is I realised my caravan was overloaded because of solar panels 2nd battery, 2nd spare wheel even a front boot full of what if I might need this if I  breakdown crap. This is reason you insurance and auto club membership.

The first column of numbers are direct from the owners manual, and caravan compliance plate. I have plenty of opportunity to move more weight from the van to the ute if I need or desire to do.

Oh as I am towing in excess of 1800kg I am using a weight distribution hitch as required by Ford Australia.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1114
Date:

Gundog wrote:
...... the fact is I realised my caravan was overloaded because of solar panels 2nd battery, 2nd spare wheel even a front boot full of what if I might need this if I  breakdown crap.

 Relocating as much of that as feasible into the Ranger would improve your safety factor .... not that the weights are much of a problem in the first place. Just because the spare wheel is used for the van does not mean it needs to be carried in the van. Mine is mounted underneath and I usually run short of space so that is where it stays.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1927
Date:

Weights    Spec's    1st 201123       2nd 040124

GVM        2951       2600                 2520

Frt Axle    1430      1160                 1120

Rear Axle 1850       1440                 1400

GCM         5500      5080                 5060

 

GTM         2466      2480                 2540

ATM         2676

 

The 2nd weigh was at the same weighbridge in Vic on our way back to Qld, after had the split system AC installed, the GTM is over but that will be rectified when we get back to Qld, When the Dometic Harrier AC is removed and the remedial work on the hole in the roof is fixed.

As you can see more weight has been removed from Ute and we need to find about 40kg of weight removed from the van after the old AC is removed, to bring as back under the GTM. the ute is going to have a set of draws installed while we are in Sydney, to create more space in the tub, goodbye to 3 storge plastic tubs which the esential from them will fit in the draws, the draws are just over 70kg.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 5420
Date:

Gundog wrote:

Weights    Spec's    1st 201123       2nd 040124

GVM        2951       2600                 2520

Frt Axle    1430      1160                 1120

Rear Axle 1850       1440                 1400

GCM         5500      5080                 5060

 

GTM         2466      2480                 2540

ATM         2676

 

The 2nd weigh was at the same weighbridge in Vic on our way back to Qld, after had the split system AC installed, the GTM is over but that will be rectified when we get back to Qld, When the Dometic Harrier AC is removed and the remedial work on the hole in the roof is fixed.

As you can see more weight has been removed from Ute and we need to find about 40kg of weight removed from the van after the old AC is removed, to bring as back under the GTM. the ute is going to have a set of draws installed while we are in Sydney, to create more space in the tub, goodbye to 3 storge plastic tubs which the esential from them will fit in the draws, the draws are just over 70kg.


 Because I am working long hours I don't have time to advise much, but with all the spare weight capacity on your car I'd suggest getting weight out of the van and onto the car.

Towball weight is too low so you could kill two birds with one stone by moving weight forward in the van. 

Increased TBW and increased GVM. And lower GTM. Cheers



__________________

v



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1927
Date:

I am wondering how yobarr thinks my towball weight is too low.

Never picked up before but the total of the maximum front and rear axle weights id greater than the GVM.  3280 V 2951KG

What effect to the COG would removing 45kg from the roof of the van.

 



__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook