check out the new remote control Jockey Wheel SmartBar rearview170 Beam Communications SatPhone Shop Visit Geraldton
Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: How is Greens Lake camping at the moment?


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:
How is Greens Lake camping at the moment?


How is Greens Lake camping at the moment?

Conditions, facilities, restrictions, (I saw that post)?

Regards

Tony



__________________

A little knowledge is dangerous - I am a very dangerous man.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Quiet after Easter. A bit busier at weekends with boaties and day trippers.

Seven days strict limit. GMW employee visits 2-3 times a week to check rubbish dumping and moves campers onwards.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Date:

Thanks

-Tony

 



__________________

A little knowledge is dangerous - I am a very dangerous man.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1192
Date:

VERY quiet! So different now. 7 day camping only allowed. I haven't been here since 2015. The area is much more open, but bollards all along the lake front. The lake is very full. New BBQ shelter, no bins, but great to see new amenities and the dump. They put some gravel in the huge potholes at the gate yesterday. Very few here, well spread out, and none of the 'old' crew beside the boat ramp!

__________________

'Once you are infected with the travel bug you have it for the rest of your life - there is NO cure'

http://hukaroa.blogspot.com.au

 



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Goulburn Murray Water have broken the Spirit of the Greens Site. Pen pushing office workers know better what campers need!



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:

After 7 days how long before you can camp there again?

__________________

Home is where I park the rig.

Tug 2016 D-Maxine

Den 2009 Goldie RV

msg


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1709
Date:

What I fail to understand is what is the difference or impact of someone staying 7 days or 14 days or even 28 days.

Do the weeds get trampled or the vans disappear buried in the dust ?

I suppose long, long termers would be undesirable though.

There's certainly enough room to cater to a vast number of travelers and the locals.   Providing the travellers stay away from the lake edge parks to leave those for the locals.



-- Edited by msg on Wednesday 31st of May 2023 11:09:18 PM

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

msg wrote:

What I fail to understand is what is the difference or impact of someone staying 7 days or 14 days or even 28 days.

Do the weeds get trampled or the vans disappear buried in the dust ?

I suppose long, long termers would be undesirable though.

There's certainly enough room to cater to a vast number of travelers and the locals.   Providing the travellers stay away from the lake edge parks to leave those for the locals.



-- Edited by msg on Wednesday 31st of May 2023 11:09:18 PM


The reason was all about rubbish being left behind by inconsiderate campers, mostly locals but also some long stayers. Never saw rubbish left behind by Grey Nomads, who actually disposed of much of the rubbish lying about.

As far as MGW is concerned everyone is tarred with the same brush and the seven day rule was introduced for all campers.

MGW employees now patrol the site, on average, twice a week.

FYI up until Covid there were bins available for rubbish disposal, however, they were permanently removed due to costs.

The longer staying Grey Nomads have moved on to other lakes in the region (all filled also from the latest floods) and spend their money at alternative rural towns.

As a regular Summer camper at Greens Lake I found this decision disappointing but have moved on to other lake camp sites within about 100kms of Greens.

I suspect the towns of Ararat, Kerang, St Arnaud and Donald will benefit more than Stanhope, Rochester and Elmore.

 



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1902
Date:

A bit damp yesterday when we drove in to have a look.  There were two campers around further but we didn't go down to investigate with the conditions the way they were,IMG_6613.JPG Just a by the by, we are not travelling in the motorhome, just in our older Ford Escape.  Looking at some silo art.  Cheers.



-- Edited by Gaylehere on Thursday 8th of June 2023 09:44:54 PM

Attachments
__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Gaylehere wrote:

A bit damp yesterday when we drove in to have a look.  There were two campers around further but we didn't go down to investigate with the conditions the way they were,IMG_6613.JPG Just a by the by, we are not travelling in the motorhome, just in our older Ford Escape.  Looking at some silo art.  Cheers.



-- Edited by Gaylehere on Thursday 8th of June 2023 09:44:54 PM


Only two campers!

Winter time had many more campers.

Looks like the pen pushers at MGW (Murray Goulburn Water) have had success getting rid of the longer stay free campers, who are the ones that spend most of their money in the local towns.

What a disgrace MGW!



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Newbie

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:

Such a shame ive been camping fishing boating here for 20 plus years , yea the sites upgraded but definetely a different vibe .
had plenty of xmas new years here prior to NYE bans due to undesirables habitating the place for months on end .
parties drugs loud music till sunup ok if thats what you want but fireworks leading to grass fire within metres of our camper with young kids inside so i took action.
only stayed during days the year after that and changing water levels killed off the fish and skiing boating .
potentially will camp during off peak periods as its close to home for us to kick back for a few days .
love to see it return to the way it used to be .


__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8609
Date:

Welcome to the Forum toonfish - yes it is a pity that great spots are ruined by the uncaring/selfish hoons/toe rags.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1715
Date:

Hey Possum , i can understand hoons but what is a toe rags. Have never heard of that saying before.



__________________

Blues man.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8609
Date:

Blues Man wrote:

Hey Possum , i can understand hoons but what is a toe rags. Have never heard of that saying before.


 Sorry it is a term used by Law Enforcement to describe undesirable elements of society, usually unemployed, with no morals and under the influence of alcohol or chemicals.

Common name: Piece of Sh1t / P.O.S.



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

toonfish wrote:

Such a shame ive been camping fishing boating here for 20 plus years , yea the sites upgraded but definetely a different vibe .
had plenty of xmas new years here prior to NYE bans due to undesirables habitating the place for months on end .
parties drugs loud music till sunup ok if thats what you want but fireworks leading to grass fire within metres of our camper with young kids inside so i took action.
only stayed during days the year after that and changing water levels killed off the fish and skiing boating .
potentially will camp during off peak periods as its close to home for us to kick back for a few days .
love to see it return to the way it used to be .


 Welcome, 14 days max now to kick back or get kicked out thanks to Goulburn Murray Water pen pushers!



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1984
Date:

Not to be confused with tow rag which was a term used in the British Navy in 18th century. It was old wadding from ropes used by sailors as a type of loo paper. Washed out and used again. It came from the tow lines and therefore the name.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8609
Date:

That was the probable origins of the expression DMaxer - POS is similar.

__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1984
Date:

Might have been Possum. My old dad was a police officer and that was one of his favourite expressions.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1152
Date:

This daft Queenslander just pulled into Greens Lake. Never seen the Lake so full.
Kicking back here for a few days until we have to leave for Funeral in Traralgon

__________________

KathnDave

Don't Worry Be Happy



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Kaid wrote:

This daft Queenslander just pulled into Greens Lake. Never seen the Lake so full.
Kicking back here for a few days until we have to leave for Funeral in Traralgon


Yes, you are regulars to Greens.

Water level at lake is high and will be great for Summer again.

I am a long term stayer so found other lakes to stay and spend money in other towns.

Have a chat to the GMW "Ranger" when he drives through noting your rego. He will tell you what is best for you at Greens and that 2 weeks is more than enough for you.

When the lake was at 10% GMW did not care how long you stayed but now they use the rubbish excuse to move campers on.

Disgusting!

No more regulars at happy hours at Greens.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1152
Date:

We came in our new Motorhome
There are a couple of caravans and campers here.
Tis unfortunate they move people on after 2 weeks though.
The long termers werent the ones who left rubbish everywhere.
Went for a walk and some dipstick had left their campfire burning.
Apart from someones bumper bar it was pretty clean.


__________________

KathnDave

Don't Worry Be Happy



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:

Hey Kaid, hope your new rig is going well and your happy with it. It's a shame about greens limits now but it's still a great place to stop for a bit. Hope to catch up with you again somewhere out there!

__________________

Home is where I park the rig.

Tug 2016 D-Maxine

Den 2009 Goldie RV



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Hey Stretch,

What's your plan B site for camping next season?



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:

Hey Dick0. Due to the extra water around the place. Other lakes might be pretty good for a few years. Shame for Rochester to miss out, but might try that one you went to. I haven't been to Green Hill or Boort for years either. There are lots that have plenty of water now.

__________________

Home is where I park the rig.

Tug 2016 D-Maxine

Den 2009 Goldie RV



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 186
Date:

Took the motorcycle out for a run around the local countryside today and as I was going past Greens Lake, I popped in to have a look. Great to see it with so much water in it again.

While I am aware it is school holidays still, it surprised me the number of people there and some appear to be in quite large groups. I would have thought that the meagre facilities there would be a problem with so many there.

Also rode past Lake Cooper and I think that it has the most water I have ever seen in it. Hardly anyone seemed to be in the Ski club cara/cabin park though.

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

STRETCH ARMSTRONG wrote:

Hey Dick0. Due to the extra water around the place. Other lakes might be pretty good for a few years. Shame for Rochester to miss out, but might try that one you went to. I haven't been to Green Hill or Boort for years either. There are lots that have plenty of water now.


Hey Stretch, how is Greens getting along without the regular long stayers?

Had a stint at Wooroonook Lake near Charlton. Donation Camp with power and town water, new flushing toilets and showers. $50.00 great value for annual camping pass, otherwise, $5.00 daily in honesty box. Plenty of redfin and yellow belly. Great place for groups.

For free camping Browns Lake at Cope Cope near Donald is excellent. Quiet with no amenities (so fully self contained) but close to Donald (with good all required services).

Had a look at Lake Batyo Catyo (no amenities) but was not impressed.

All lakes there are full.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Senior Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 407
Date:

Hey Dick0, l'm still in dry dock, working on my van after 6 years on the road full time. Amazing the thing that need a bit of TLC. Some of the spots you mentioned sound good. I hope to catch up with our group after Christmas if intrested. School holidays were reasonable at greens but not like the old days. I reckon Rochester will notice the loss of sales from grey nomads, bit sad really. Catch ya soon, stretch.

__________________

Home is where I park the rig.

Tug 2016 D-Maxine

Den 2009 Goldie RV



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8609
Date:

Dick0 wrote:

Had a look at Lake Batyo Catyo (no amenities) but was not impressed.


 What happened to the Amenities Block built less than 10 years ago - I am aware the older coin operated showers were getting smashed by low lives, for the coins - the amenities should be there.



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1091
Date:

Possum3 wrote:
Dick0 wrote:

Had a look at Lake Batyo Catyo (no amenities) but was not impressed.


 What happened to the Amenities Block built less than 10 years ago - I am aware the older coin operated showers were getting smashed by low lives, for the coins - the amenities should be there.


Had a look at the place last month. The site is in derelict condition. No facilities. Appears like there once was a caravan park there with power boxes and water taps. All now overgrown. Big flat green area to park and lake was full.

Browns Lake is better for longer term free camping and very close (about 10 kilometers all bitumen) to Donald for all services. Amenities toilet block is in ruins. Lake is full.

Lake Wooroonook is a great donation camp with no time limit. In between Donald and Charlton. $5 per night or $50 annual fee. Lake full and plenty, plenty of redfin and yellowbelly.

New amenities block with flushing toilets and hot showers and drinking water and bbq.s. Hook up to power/water for additional donation.



__________________

Cheers, Richard (Dick0)

"Home is where the Den is parked, Designer Orchid Special towed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited"

"4x250W solar panels, Epever 80A charger and 3x135Ah Voltax Prismatic LiFePO4 Batteries".



Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 8609
Date:

Dick0 wrote:

Had a look at the place last month. The site is in derelict condition. No facilities. Appears like there once was a caravan park there with power boxes and water taps. All now overgrown. Big flat green area to park and lake was full.


 Pity, it was a nice camping spot - there used to be a permanent chap acting as caretaker - living in a big old converted bus. He was a bit of a GURU with Solar/Electronics/Batteries.



__________________

Possum; AKA:- Ali El-Aziz Mohamed Gundawiathan

Sent from my imperial66 typewriter using carrier pigeon, message sticks and smoke signals.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
Purchase Grey Nomad bumper stickers Read our daily column, the Nomad News The Grey Nomad's Guidebook